Tuesday, July 3, 2012

June 11th

Today we split into two groups to serve. The first group went to different villages to share the gospel and meet people. After lunch they went to schools to spend time with the kids and share Jesus. The group I was in served at the medical clinic. I did not really know what to expect going into the clinic. I just knew that although I am not interested in the medical field, I am a firm believer in the power of prayer. I really wanted to pray over patients if that was going to be allowed.

Ashley, Janae, Courtney, Keeley, and I before going to the clinic. 
Our sign says, "eager".

Top: Corey, Kristyn, Todd                                                  
Middle: Me, Courtney, Megan, Sierra, Janae, Christie
Bottom: Ashley, Keeley, Cara
Missing: Steven and Nikki

"We Are Chosen"

The Ewaso Ngiro Health Centre by Christian Missionary Fellowship


My team got split up into different rooms. I got to work with Dr. James. He takes people's HIV tests and gives them counseling about how to avoid HIV or how to live with it. This is a Christian organization, so it promotes abstinence until marriage. What is difficult is that the Massai Tribe promotes polygamy, so multiple sex partners means a higher risk.

Dr. James takes blood samples and drips them onto strips. These test strips determine if a patient is 
 negative or positive.
Dr. James told me that I was going to take a test. I held back and told him that I didn't want to make the patients feel uncomfortable with a stranger taking care of them. Also, I did not want to mess up either. Finally the doctor convinced me to take Ole Pere Mutarieu's test. I talk with the patient before hand, while James translated. After giving him the test, we found out that he tested negative! I was so relieved. Afterward, James and I prayed over Pere and it was a powerful moment. Ole Pere has one wife and he is 80 years old. I was a little bit shocked that there was someone a part of the Massai alive at such an old age. 

When the patients stopped coming in, James wanted to give me a HIV test. 

I tested negative! Woohoo!

Dr. James and I.

The team with all of the doctors we worked with. What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment