Friday, July 20, 2012

June 14th & 15th

The 14th and 15th were our two last days of missions work. We went to schools again on the 14th. We were all split into small groups to speak to classes. Nikki and I got assigned to "Class 5" which is ages 7-10 ish. We started off by singing songs to the kids such as "10 Little Monkeys" and "Father Abraham". Then the kids sang a song to use in Swahili. They laughed at our dance moves. After the kids sat down again, we passed out a craft for them and talked to them about Jesus. We then told them that they could ask us questions. We had a fun time talking with them and answering their questions. Then, we asked the kids about their dreams. So many wanted to be teachers and doctors. Others wanted to be pilots, pastors, and soldiers. A girl even said she wanted to be a sister. We asked the kids to share what they thought could get in the way of their dreams coming true. For the age group we were dealing with, we got really good answers. They said, "negative peer pressure, lack of motivation, lack of hope, and struggling to understand material". At the end of the class, Nikki and I had the students stand up in a circle and hold hands as we prayed over their futures. It was such an incredible moment to ask God to bless them and provide for them.

I have learned on this trip that the more that education is taken seriously in Kenya, the more prosperous this country could be. Instead, there is a lot of hopelessness and laziness. And honestly, I don't blame them.

After the first school, we visited a Christian school. The kids were all in uniforms and they loved attention. However, they seemed to be more spoiled because of all that they have been blessed with. They wanted things from us and kept asking. Unfortunately, this is the result of missionaries always bringing the kids gifts.

Today was one of the more difficult days for me. I was extremely exhausted and homesick. I felt bad because I did not feel a passion for serving in Africa like I thought that I would. On the trip, it's hard not to feel bad for not connecting with situations in front of you. I know now that my lack of a passion is not a problem (it's actually a blessing in my opinion). I know that my purpose is elsewhere, and for that I am grateful. 


However, there were several people on the trip who did feel a passion for Africa and they seemed to love every piece of the trip. Some of them didn't like the Safari as much because they wanted to serve instead. I just think it's cool how you get both worlds on any trip you go on. People are so different from each other, and God has given us different callings.


One of my favorite verses that the school had on display.

Class 5

Jenifer and I. She was in Class 5. She was very sweet, talkative, and energetic. She told me that she wants to be a doctor when she grows up.

This is Paul. I could tell from his answers in class that he is a Christian. He looks kind of serious in this picture, but do not be fooled- he is very happy and energetic. He wants to be a pilot when he grows up. I called him Paul the Pilot.

Coca-Cola is just as famous in Kenya as America. I loved seeing this little boy enjoying a glass of coke.




Private school kids

David... what a sweetie.

On the 15th, the team went to the bush to share more of the gospel. Cara and I got to tell a tribe about Jesus. When I was explaining to the people that with Jesus we can be saved from our sins and when we follow him throughout life we can live eternally in Heaven. Then when I told them about the alternative destination to not living a life for Christ is hell- where there is sickness, pain, and torture eternally.. I started to choke up. I was staring at a group of people who live their lives in a way that most people would call painful and awful. They live in dung huts. They have flies swarming around their faces and crawling on their bodies. They have little food and money. It broke my heart that they could possibly not choose Jesus and live worse off than they were already living. They may never see the side of life that I see if they didn't choose Jesus.

Some people in the tribe did choose to be saved. We prayed over other sick people as well. This day was hard, but I was reminded more of the reality of this world.


Hair cut!

I thought this dog had awesome colors! Grey and gold.


I washed Cara and Corey's hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment